Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I've posted a couple of questions about the Singer 201, and someone suggested that I should be asking here. So in case you haven't seen my other threads:
Any dates/model that are particularly good/ to be avoided? I've worked out that many of those available in the UK are the 201-3, with a drive belt rather than a potted motor (had never heard that term till yesterday - am learning fast!) . What about the 1960s brown one - is that as good as the older ones?
I want a machine that I can use for free motion quilting, as my expensive modern one is *!*! at it. Have people used the 201 for FMQ? I understand that a disadvantage is that the bobbins are small, but the 301 was apparently not sold in Europe, so I don't have that alternative, and there don't seem to be as many 15s around.
The drive belt on the one I'm looking at doesn't look great. Is replacing it a straightforward job?
Many thanks!
Annesthreads, it is too bad you can't find a Model 15. I think the Model 15's or the Model 15 clones do the best at FWQting. I don't have a 201 so I really can't judge that machine, but as you probably know Singer always advertised the 201 machine as the 'finest Singer ever made.' It seems the consensus on here is that the 201 is a great piecing, sewing machine, but the 15's are superior at FMQting. I do a lot of free motion on my 15 and it works wonderfully.

Are just talking about just replacing the belt? That is an easy thing to do.
Nancy