Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I've posted a couple of questions about the Singer 201, and someone suggested that I should be asking here. So in case you haven't seen my other threads:
Any dates/model that are particularly good/ to be avoided? I've worked out that many of those available in the UK are the 201-3, with a drive belt rather than a potted motor (had never heard that term till yesterday - am learning fast!) . What about the 1960s brown one - is that as good as the older ones?
I want a machine that I can use for free motion quilting, as my expensive modern one is *!*! at it. Have people used the 201 for FMQ? I understand that a disadvantage is that the bobbins are small, but the 301 was apparently not sold in Europe, so I don't have that alternative, and there don't seem to be as many 15s around.
The drive belt on the one I'm looking at doesn't look great. Is replacing it a straightforward job?
Many thanks!
You want to free motion with your vintage Singer then I suggest to look for a 15-90/91. If your quilting is piecing and straight stitch quilting than your 201 will work wonderfully for ya.

I don't have a 301, so I cant answer that.

congrats on your 201.