View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I have been wondering the same question. I have a "walmart special" cheapo machine that is a Brother. I have had it for 4 years the poor thing has never been to the shop, I clean it here at the house and no matter what I do to the poor thing it keeps working and has never caused me any trouble. SO I was going to just stay with the Brother brand. But after reading what Minnow wrote I am scared <nail biting>. I just looked and I can get the Juki online cheaper than I can get the Brother online or at my local dealer.

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!

Thank you Joan for asking this question!

Boy it makes me feel sad when these lower end Brothers get a bad rap. Yes, I know there are duds, but there have been problems with the higher end name brand machines too. I have been using a lower end Brother XR-52 for 7 years and it has never been to the shop, never failed me yet, doesn't need oiling, never had a tension problem, sews through anything and does a good job with FMQ. The problems there are me. I have wrestled a king size STID project through it too. I rarely change a needle and have cleaned out the bobbin area exactly once. We got my daughter in law a different version of a lower end machine in a different state and it worked right out of the box. I'm the only one who uses it and it has never given me a lick of problems. Thank you for letting me give my little machine a pat on the back, publicly! (Watch, now I'll go in there to sew and it will explode!!!)