Thread: What! No Stash?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Carol's Quilts

Just what kind of scraps are you guys talking about? When I say "scrap", that's what I mean. For about the past year, I have been making baby quilts for Quilts for Kids. If I need 1/2 yd fabric to cut 12 blocks, I buy only 1/2 yd. I'll square up the fabric and get 2 long skinny triangular strips from the edges, then cut my squares. Do you mean to tell me that you would use those "squared-up" skinny uneven strips to include in a quilt?

If I'm making a bed-sized quilt, I only do hand applique. After I cut all those curved shapes into flower petals or hearts or pieces of birds or whatever, there's nothing left but odd-sized, curved shapes that aren't good for anything but the trash bag. Say I have a 1/4 yd strip of fabric from which I cut a bunch of leaves or hearts arranged so that I get as many as I can from that fabric. Imagine rolling out cookie dough and cutting out cookies with a cookie cutter. That's the kind of scraps I throw away. Would you guys actually use those junky little pieces?

I only buy as much as I need and there is SELDOM anything usable left.

I can't afford to buy fabric just to store it because someday I might find a use for it. I buy what I need when I need it, and throw away the above-described scraps.

What kind of scraps do you save to re-use at a later date?