View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 AM
SewExtremeSeams

Originally Posted by catmcclure
I have a chance to buy a featherweight without a case for $250 and/or a 301A with a case for $128. Which would you recommend? The 301A supposedly also zigzags.
You have plenty of advice already given but thought I would add my two cents worth. :-D

A year or so I bought a FW with all of the attachments, original oil can; lots of other goodies, original manual, plus a book on FWs for $250 with a case.

Last week I bought a 301A with all attachments, tons of bobbins, and a cabinet, cradle adapter to set machine in the cabinet, etc. for $150. It also has a built in metal handle to carry it with.

I love sewing on my FW. Cleaned up my 301A and plugged it in and pressed on the pedal without threading the machine. It is a POWERHOUSE! I can tell that it will probably become my favorite machine to sew on. I am probably going to use it with my newly acquired 'used' Grace longarm frame.

Let us know what you decide to get. :-D

I guess I have to add that if I had to make a choice, after running the 301A, I think my choice would be the 301A. And save up for a FW for later. My 301A has the fold up bed like the FW and is very portable like the FW. It only weighs 5# more.