View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 AM
bakermom

Originally Posted by jljack
I think fabric selection should also be based on the use of the quilt. Spending over $100 for fabric & batting to make a treasured "heirloom" quality quilt is quite acceptable. To overspend on fabric for a quilt that goes to a hospital for NICU babies, or to a toddler who will drag the quilt around, necessitating frequent washing and relatively short term life doesn't seem like a good use of my $$ resources. I do appreciate the difference in the quality of the fabric. Sometimes I can afford to spend $$ for the nicer fabric, but most often I cannot.

I have part of a quilt that my grandmother made over 100 years ago using household use grade fabrics. Although it is fragile, it stood up to many many washings in a farm household over it's life. If my quilts make it to 100 years old, no matter what the fabric quality, I will look down in amazement from Heaven!!
Amen to that! if a quilt made from used clothing can last that long i don't worry about mine.

manufacturers have different standards or specs. that is the difference in the fabric, not where it happens to be sold