Thread: Quilting Class
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 AM
sewjoyce

Originally Posted by nana2
I too appreciate learning how certain crafts/arts began AND I have an even greater appreciation for the generations before us who had such limited tools. I also have a great appreciation for those who have been able to design the great the tools we now use with such success and time saved. Recently on our Public Broadcasting Station, Sewing With Nancy featured a demo of sewing circles. The guest was using an embrodiery machine; but Nancy demoed using a thumb tack. Then right after this I saw a PBS show of Fons & Porter with a guest sewing circles using a special foot for the sewing machine. The next time I visited our sewing machine store I asked about one of these feet for my machine --- the cost was almost $50.00. I came home, got out a thumb tack and went to the sewing machine ---- Works Great!!! So, it does pay to have some of us from the "older" generation around to demo the "how to" without some of the modern tools. With the present economy going down many of us may need to be a little more conserative in our spending and will need to rely on each other for info to help us find a way to accomplish a task without buying an expensive tool. I really think that quilters may find that our attitudes and willinness to help each other will piece together and hold together more than fabric.
OK, I give -- how do you make a circle using a thumb tack??????