View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 AM
PiecesinMn

I've been teaching for a number of years through the school district's community ed. I have it stated in the class description that homework would be required if they want to have the quilt finished. I think one of the easiest to teach is the rail fence. My classes are for getting the top together. I stress the three important things you need to do to quilt (1) cut accurately, (2) sew accurately) and (3) press accurately. I do touch on how you can quilt or tie the quilt the last night, but I don't teach specifics. I do okay for me, I don't feel that I am qualified to teach a machine or hand quilting class. Also stated in the description is that they need to bring their own machine. In the material list I send out its states to know their machine and have it in working order. I do provide directions for whatever project we are working on, but I notice over and over people just want me to tell them what to do, they don't want to read instructions. Is this a Minnesota thing??? I am happy to oblige. I also like to get people started and then just go from student to student so that it's more of an individual lesson. Everyone cuts, sews, and irons at different speeds so it works out well.