Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 AM
bamamama

Originally Posted by charismah
Originally Posted by Dayken
Chrisma,

When you follow a pattern on the fabric, do you find a path to follow that makes the pattern and yet does not cross over itself? In other words, do you pre plan your approach to the design? I am Dayna, I have met you several times at Fabric Patch - I'm a new quilter. I am finding that I have to go over lines I have already sewn - I'm sure this is a NO NO. Any advice?
Thanks, Dayna
I did cross over some lines..it would be impossible not to...why is it a no no? I know that we try not to in some cases such as stipple and meandering...but I find that I have to in many cases such as loops, feathers, flowers....I mean we cross over lines all the time...so I just tried to keep everything as consistent and smooth as I could...it actually wasn't all that easy....I can see all of my flaws..but today ( a day later) it looks great..and I don't notice them much.
I just did one like that too. It was a charity quilt and a pre printed backing was donated, one of those where the blue lines wash off. The top was simple so I quilted it upside down so that I could follow the preprinted lines. Chrisma is right, it was not easy. I marked the backing/now top to show where the top was on the sides and bottom edge when I got there. I think I would also attach a strip to put on the top and bottom leaders next time also. I actually don't really want there to be a next time. It was not really fun to do.