View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

I'm not in school, but you'd think I was, if you saw me in a public place, bc I always have one of my totes with me. I don't use a purse anymore.
I wanted to have my qu magazines, paper, pens, fab store coupons, everything I used to have in my purse, bottled water, you name it...I had to have something to carry it all.
I couldn't find something to accomodate me, so I made my own.
I used cottons and prequilted fabric for a few of them, but I have a nylon bag that is very strong, and you would probably want to use something made like that for everyday use and heavy books.
Mine is about 15" tall and 20" wide before sewing. It has 3 pockets inside, for cell phone, and two bottles, and one whole side is pocketed for books.
I took a piece of plastic that you use for plastic canvas stuff, sewed the yarn around the entire edge, and then covered with fabric. This stays at the bottom of the bag, to hold it open and strengthen.
I put a pocket on each side of the outside, for misc. and car keys. One is 4" x 5", and doesn't hold a whole lot, and is just a square with a binded edge (top)...the other is 5" x 7" and is the prequilted fabric, holds keys, gum and a few other things, and has a flap. Making my own was a good idea for me, just a suggestion. I may make my next one out of upholstery fabric for durability.
The thing I like besides having the pockets I wanted, was I can have as many as I wish to make and go with the color that suits me. I get lots of compliments on them, but I do reccommend lots of pockets, if you want to be able to find all your stuff, and gusseted pockets are better than flat ones. :D