Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 PM
grammypatty7

Patty's quilt as you go technique. Just spent a lot of time writing up a good description of what and how I do it and for some odd reason it didn't come through - 2nd failure today.

1. quilted the big center star block first.
2. added the dark blue 2 1/2 inch border to the sides and to the top and bottom. This is added by placing the dark blue face down on the quilted block, the polyester batting on top of this. Then on the bottom of the sandwich place the white muslin backing. All layers are pinned together and then then sewn in a 1/4 inch seam. The order top to bottom is:
1. polyester batting
2. blue fabric face down on top of the quilted star block
3. quilted star block face up (right sides together with the blue strip)
4. white muslin backing on the bottom (right sides together)

This is a variation of one of the techniques used in Marti Michelle's book see below. Purchased mine at www.nancysnotions.com but you can find it at several places online including her own .com web site.

Each border is added one at a time as above, pin/hand basted as needed and then quilted. This can be done working with panels 3 to 4 blocks wide and 2 to 3 blocks (rows) deep depending on what you can individually handle. When doing a queen sized quilt, the top 2 or 3 row panel is assembled and quilted first. While doing this the next 2 or 3 row panel is being assembled. Add to the sandwiched quilt as above. Carefully and adequately pin and hand baste as I don't use a hoop or frame. The quilts are beautiful and wear very well. Yes there are seams on the back but my seams are all machine sewn and no hand whipping on the back side - have done that though and those seams have worn amazingly well.

To add large panels to a quilt, I put one of those cardboard cutting boards on one of our queen sized beds and work there and that works well for me. Begin pin basting at the seam where the quilted and new panel are joined. Pin the seam line down firmly with straight pins. Smooth slowly down the panel and pin baste in place. Then I roll in my computer desk chair and sit down and hand baste that new section 3 inches apart in both directions top to bottom AND side to side. As I baste a section, I roll it up and gradually slide the quilt towards me as I work. Just experiment until you find what works well for you.

There are many quilt as you techniques on this quilt board and on other web sites so just search and explore them until you see something you'd like to try. Hiring quilts professionally quilted is not an option for me plus as long as I'm capable of quilting, I prefer to do it myself.

Hugs
Patty

Marti Michell's book
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205357[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205351.jpe