View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mimisharon
Oh, Rhonda and Julie, I'm kin! I always burn the last tray of cookies for some reason. Luckily Roy likes things burned. lol lol

I tried to make pear jam once. My SIL had a pear tree in her yard and she sent me pears, pears, pears. Well, I'd make jellies and jams with my mom for years starting at about 9 or 10 yo. I was tired from work and quartered the pears, seeded them, then put them in the pan with sugar, pectin, fruit fresh, etc. etc. I grew up with natural gas. Electric is NOT a good pan to have to try to make jellies and jams, especially if you're tired from 10 hours of work. Have you ever had a pan burned so badly that you couldn't chisel the crud off? :oops:

I did get a new set of pots and new drip pans the next day though. No pear jam and I never let her send me that many pears again. I gag when I see the pear jam in the stores even. :x
I also grew up making jams and jellies and butchering chickens and home canning.

I don't do any of it anymore except for my favorite sweet pickles because you can't buy them. The recipe was handed down through the family and I won't do without them if I can help it.

I figure it takes less time to buy it than to can it and for most things that is just fine with me. I got tired of all the work!! My daughter is really into home canning everything and she shares! They even make their own salsa and merinara sauce and beef stew and ...... She is reallly hung up on serving her family food without all the salt and preservatives.

I tried making my own ketchup once .. it was ok but it wasn't to my taste and I never got it to taste the way i wanted so I never kept on trying.

I'd rather be quilting than canning any day!!!!