View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
peaceandjoy

butterflywing, I agree with you on the silvery ironing material. In the ongoing discussion of steam or dry irons, I'm a steamer, and I want that steam to penetrate so that any block that is thinking about not obeying WILL :twisted: ! I don't remember where I read about using Isulbright for an ironing board, but it seemed to make sense. While it has the ?(whatever metalic) woven through it, it is mostly like a cotton batting. I thought it would be the best of both worlds. So far, so good. I will say, though, that I don't love the curtains I lined with it - too stiff... But they do block the cold - and later the sun - from my westward facing window, so they are effective even if they don't drape nicely.

The Robert Kaufman muslin I get at Joann's w/ a coupon. It's really, really nice. I hadn't tried it until last fall and was surprised they had it. Not as inexpensive as their regular muslin, but a much nicer quality.

Is your "cave" in the basement? I joke about DH's cave, which is actually our living room. It has one large window, but b/c of the porch overhang, it is very dark. Suits him well, I guess, for tv watching! I've taken over the family room for my sewing, but no place to call my own. It's very open, so everyone sees my "creative work space." Fabrics are stored in nooks and crannies wherever I can find/make them, which is a problem in that I can't see them and it's so frustrating to try to find a particular piece I know I have that I often give up. I'm hoping to get some shelving put in the family room, but DH is reluctant to make changes. It'd be so nice to have all in one area.

What luck that you can repurpose furniture from curbside! When we were first married, we lived near a college apartment complex. Many of the students just put everything outside when they were done for the year, it was unbelievable what they were throwing away. Someone on another thread had a picture of a glass front cabinet she got from a friend's garage. She is now using it for fabric storage and it is gorgeous. Here's hoping you find something as lovely, or something that is sturdy that you can decorate yourself, that will work well for you.