Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

do a little (practice class) with your Helper-friend and maybe another person to play (student) for you- and make sure said friend is on the same page as you for your project---
one time i was asked to teach a technique at our little sewing group- a friend offered to help out---
i started the class with an intoduction to the block and a description of the process and we gathered supplies---
within 1/2 an hour everyone was so upset and frustrated...i was showing a (beginner technique) she was running around behind me trying to get people to try something different...one of those situations where once we learn how to do something then we learn some (short cuts)
no one managed to make their block that evening- and many were (irritated to say the least) half of them arranged with me to come to my house the next day and learn to do it...it was a terrible mess- and i refused to even consider doing another with the group (while the helper was present) luckily she is a seasonal resident and we can accomplish things when she is elsewhere...:(
and it's not that what she was doing was wrong- it was just assuming you already knew the basics of the block- and i was teaching ... the basics...she was way beyond them...caused alot of wasted fabric and hard feelings...
so my advice--
get together with helper and come up with a plan together...
good luck