View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 04:13 AM
Nita

Pam ~ Congrats on your new Sewing Machine! You sound happy with your purchase and THAT is the most important thing. I had a Viking that I relaced with a Pfaff, simply because I love the Pfaff's built in walking foot. When I sold my HQ-16 long arm (bought "on impulse"), I then bought a Bernina Aurora QE with BSR. I prefer to piece with the Pfaff and FMQ with the Bernina. But, to be honest, neither of them has that wonderful extra long arm that you have on your Viking. That extra 2" inches makes a difference when it comes to FMQ. Each sewing machine seems to have its pluses and minuses. BTW, I had a Kenmore up until 6 years ago when I got intp quilting. It was an okay machine for the little sewing I did back then (making curtains, etc), but wow what a difference between that standard Kenmore and computerized machines out today! Enjoy your new toy. Have fun creating.

Now, I do have a question in response to OMAK's comment:
Originally Posted by omak
Oh! By the way - - I noticed that the machine is advertised as a machine that never has to be oiled. I just took a machine to the repair center - - advertised the same way a hundred years ago <g> (mid 70s, perhaps) .. the repairman said: Don't you believe it!
After I thought about it for awhile, I realized that he was right - - if you can sew with the machine and those parts are open to the air (in order for the parts to function) the oil can be used up and it needs to be oiled from time to time.
I was told that my Pfaff did not require oiling. But I found that strange. Your argument makes perfect sense. So, without instructions to oil my Pfaff, how would I safely go about doing it? are all machines oiled the same way? This might sound like a stupid question, but I don't want to damage my Pfaff by oiling it "Wrong". Thanks, in advance, for your advise.
nita