Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Suzi
Mine is a Challenge (made in Japan) and sold by Sears, Roebuck and Co. Has to be a 15 (too old to be a clone - lol). And yes, she's a workhorse. I probably shouldn't say this (because if I do she will explode or something) but she has never seen a service person. She is cleaned, oiled and used by me and me alone and if she gets to clattering a bit she's oiled some more. About the only things I have to replace is her belt (are you aware that the belts they make today simply do NOT hold up like they used to?) and her bobbin winding tire.

Considering they cost new (back in the 50's) around $49.99 and considering the machines of today have totally lost their simplicity - I feel that she's worth whatever you want to pay for her. How's that for getting around your question? For $75 she had better be pristine though. IMHO
Suzi, you guys are funny to listen too, but your Challenge made by Sears is certainly a 15 clone if it was made in Japan - and if it is infact modeled after a Singer Model 15. We gave the Japanese people the money to make those 15 and 99 clones after the war. The clones started appearing in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Sears, Wards, etc., all had the clones made in Japan. There were over 5000 different 'brands' manufactured by 15 or so different companies. But, if your machine doesn't look like a Singer 15 or 99 then it is not a clone. Can you post a picture of your machine. If it is in fact a clone, those are really nice machines.

Nancy