View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 06:40 AM
omak

Originally Posted by Nita

Now, I do have a question in response to OMAK's comment:
Originally Posted by omak
Oh! By the way - - I noticed that the machine is advertised as a machine that never has to be oiled. I just took a machine to the repair center - - advertised the same way a hundred years ago <g> (mid 70s, perhaps) .. the repairman said: Don't you believe it!
After I thought about it for awhile, I realized that he was right - - if you can sew with the machine and those parts are open to the air (in order for the parts to function) the oil can be used up and it needs to be oiled from time to time.
I was told that my Pfaff did not require oiling. But I found that strange. Your argument makes perfect sense. So, without instructions to oil my Pfaff, how would I safely go about doing it? are all machines oiled the same way? This might sound like a stupid question, but I don't want to damage my Pfaff by oiling it "Wrong". Thanks, in advance, for your advise.
nita
The bobbin area would be my first target ... good cleaning can't be overstated, and I would make friends with my repairman so he would show me how to oil my machine.
The machine I have was abused, misused, underused for over five years that I know of, before I finally ran it in to the ground and took it to my repairman. Because I had done all of that without ever trying to oil the things I had easy access to, one of the gears had to be replaced (only $14.00) but might not have been a problem if I hadn't taken the "no oil needed" so darned literally! LOL
I have a Babylock QUilter Pro, and I have never seen a machine that had FOUR ports for inserting oil ... but, then .... at the factory, there was one port at the top ...
When in doubt .... the repairman is your best friend ... other than that, all I can say is: if you can see two pieces of metal working together - - a joint, so to speak (without having to totally dismantle the machine) a drop of oil in that place would not be a bad thing. Is that about as clear as mud? LOL