Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 PM
wildyard

Just thought I'd like to share some of the little ideas and things I have in my sewing room that make it easier for me when I am sewing or that make me happy to be in my sewing room.
Earlier I posted the neat ruler holder I made today for the side of my sewing desk. That got me thinking to share some of my other ideas.
My pincushion is large and needles tend to get lost in it, so I use a little strawberry for them. So it won't get lost, I dropped it over the thread wire on my homemade cone thread holder. I also slipped the ribbon on my stork scissors over the wire as I kept misplacing them or dropping them to the floor. Those are my thread snipping scissors. I also attached a round magnet to hold the working end of a broken seam ripper. This I use when I have just a short area to take out. Due to it's small size, I was always losing it. Now it's always there on the magnet.
I have a small rolling cart of drawers that my portable ironing board fits on top of. When I'm sewing I roll it beside me so I can press seams, etc. When I don't need it, I can roll it away for easy access to my scrap boxes and other storage drawers.
One of the best tips, I don't have a pic of, but it's just half of a wooden clip clothespin. It works great as a mini iron. Use the rounded inside of the clip end as the pressing foot. Rub over the seam you want to press and it will lay flat. I use this a lot when I am piecing and not wanting to deal with the iron. It really works!

homemade cone thread holder with attachments
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205914[/ATTACH]

dollar store caddy with scizzors, cutter, pen and pencil and markers, small rulers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205915[/ATTACH]

ruler attached to front of desk for quick dimension checks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205916[/ATTACH]

thrift store shower caddy, bent the top to hang over the drawer pull, this is where I put my scraps when cutting and sewing; the pink container is for the very small scraps. I just pull it out and drop them into whichever holder applies
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205920[/ATTACH]

when it's full, go to the scrap bins and sort and file
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205921[/ATTACH]

color sorted scraps are in the shoe boxes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205923[/ATTACH]

ready to press when I want to
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205924[/ATTACH]

out of the way when I don't
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205926[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205908.jpe   attachment-205909.jpe   attachment-205910.jpe   attachment-205914.jpe   attachment-205915.jpe  

attachment-205917.jpe   attachment-205918.jpe   attachment-205920.jpe