View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Randy

Hi Rainbow:
The scrappy quilt I'm currently working on is a "Mini bow tie" with 3 1/2 inch blocks for the tie. Size of the finished block is 6 inches which might work to highlight your focus fabric. I got the pattern from www.quilterscache.com/M/MiniBowTieBlock.html. . I'll attache a picture of the bow tie I'm working on just to give you an idea of how you might use your own fabric.

A 9-patch block may also be something that you could use to highlight your focus fabric.

I've never done a "fussy cut" quilt but understand they are easy and wonderful. Maybe find a pattern that lends itself well to a fussy cut application for your focus fabric. For those who might not know what fussy cut is, it's where you cut your fabric very carefully to highlight a particular motif in the fabric. Maybe you have fabric with dogs on it, fussy cut it so each block has a dog. Usually fabric prints repeat themselves throughout the length of the bolt so you have to remember when you do a fussy cut to get enough fabric to get the number of fussy blocks you want for your quilt. By fussy cutting you use MORE fabric than normal but the leftovers work great in "scrappy."

I hope this helps you a bit. Check out quilterscache site. It's my favorite and I can always find something of interest. When you go to the site, make sure to click on the last page where Marsha has included "Lucy's block" or "Dressa's block" which are pictures that quilters have submitted with their particular block...I get some great ideas looking at other people's work and by seeing the block or quilt made up. I'm so visual I need pictures!
Good luck and keep on quilting,
Randy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65395.jpe