Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by olebat
OMG, what do I do now? While I was in the hospital last week, I made arrangements for a friend to pick up a 301 short bed, which I had found on Craig's List. It was from a town about 1 1/2 hours away. When the friend had a chance to come to town, he delivered the machine to my car. I opened the car, and was surprised to see a solid wooden cabinet. What I viewed on line, and the description of the machine sounded like a portable. (Wooden case was mentioned, not wooden cabinet.) The deep drawers were filled with books, two button hole attachments and lots of templates and cams, a zig zag foot, and the usual assortment of feet from the era. I already have 14 cabinet machines, and about 18 portables, 4 treadles, and two computerized machines. I didn't need another cabinet either, but I'm tickled to have it. Now I need to have the family move it into the house so I can play with it. The seller and the friend said it worked good. There was a repair ticket in the books which indicate a professional cleaning and "tune-up". Less than 4 years ago. Oh well, I guess I still need to look for a portable 301. I also need a good chain stitch machine, so I'll continue to watch the sales, and when able, hit the thrift stores and antique shops. Never know what I'll drag home next.
It may well be portable!!! Look under the lift lid and see if there is a lever under there. If you push the lever the machine will just pop out of the metal basket that holds the machine in the cabinet. It is so easy once you figure it out.