Old 06-04-2011, 03:18 AM
olebat

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by olebat
OMG, what do I do now? What I viewed on line, and the description of the machine sounded like a portable. (Wooden case was mentioned, not wooden cabinet.) I didn't need another cabinet either, but I'm tickled to have it. I guess I still need to look for a portable 301. I also need a good chain stitch machine, so I'll continue to watch the sales, and when able, hit the thrift stores and antique shops. Never know what I'll drag home next.
Olebat, if that is indeed a 301 cabinet it is in, it should be easily removed to be able to make it portable. There should be only one lever to push to release it from the cabinet.
Portables store in the walk out basement, easy to load to take on the road for sewing classes. The cabinets are rapidly filling the house. I've had classes here on some those machines. By the end of the summer, (we hope,) most of the machines in cabinets will go to the new 4-H center. I'll keep the 201, 301, a 15 and a 66 and one of the treadles here at home for personal use. Most of the portables will store at the 4-H center, as those are also the ones we use for loaners. Most of the portables are a mix mash of donated and salvaged machines. It doesn't take much for the kids to mess them up. Where as, the old classics are close to indestructible. We can spend our class time sewing, not trouble shooting a problem machine. So, my goal is still to collect a total of 25, portable, FW and or 301's in compact portable cases, to take on the road for sewing classes.