Thread: Sashing?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 05:03 AM
Wonnie

Originally Posted by MTS
This is the PERFECT opportunity for some Setting Solutions. Best quilting book I ever read. Yep, actually read. It's by Sharyn Craig, and came out about 10 years ago.

It's about how to take a bunch blocks from a swap, that are all different sizes, and make them work together in a quilt. And trying to do something really interesting and different with them instead of a standard 3x4 grid.

It all depends on much you want to put into this quilt, and if you need to, are willing to maybe make another block or two.

Now, your blocks are a bit homogeneous because you made them all from the same few fabrics (the examples below were made by different people with different stashes).

Personally, I'd probably at least try Linda's suggestion of going outside the box. And do to something with the setting so it's not the standard grid.

My NYC bee group did a Round Robin sort of venture back in 2002 after Sharyn's book came out.

The idea was to have a bunch of blocks (made by others so they were a bit disparate - their definition of blue isn't always your definition, nor is their 1/4" the same - convoluted rules for that part of the RR) and then we each had to make a quilt based on that group of blocks (12-14) for another member. And you were NOT allowed to just put in sashing in a grid pattern and border it. You HAD to do something to make it special.

Confusing? It was a bit. ;-)

Here are the results (I had uploaded them for another post months ago):
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-113103-1.htm#2935937

And if you look at the 5th quilt down (the dark navy), that's the one Carolyn made for me. YAY! But notice how she brilliantly placed blocks on point with straight set blocks in HER setting solution.

It's my 2nd favorite quilt. My 1st is my avatar, which is the 1st RR I did with this same group of ladies.

(I designed and made the Lone Star quilt as my SS for another member.)

Anyway, if you can get your hand on the book, it's a great read, and full of suggestions. If you come across it in a store, just go to page 78(?) where there is a picture of a bunch (20?) of blocks - blue stars on white background - from a swap with a large group. So no two were the same size, blues were all over the place, etc.

Meh. But over the next 3-4 pages, you begin to see how she transforms those blocks into the most amazing quilt. And when you look at that quilt, you would never think just blue and white star block.
And you don't even have to like that quilt - or the others in the book.

The idea or goal is to make something really original and different, and also learn how to deal with all the wonkiness that come with a bunch of blocks that aren't all perfectly coordinated , whether in size or color of style.
Thanks for the info! See that's it's available on Kindle for $9.99. Of course it won't be in color but the info will still be there.