Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by jpete523
Randa ...
If your Dressmaker has a serial number with JA then it's probably a clone just like Bojangles explained. If not, then call White, they answer "Viking, Pfaff", and they can research the number and tell you when it was manufactured and possibly the location. Their number is 1-800-446-2333.

I was sure my Dressmaker was a clone because it looks just like a Singer 15. It has a side mounted tension knob, a knob on top to release the pressure foot pressure, and a dial marked "normal, silk, embroidery" which drops the feed dogs. I thought "Yay! FMQ!!" But I couldn't find a JA serial number on it. It's serial number is all numerals. So I called White and sure enough it was made by White in 1957 probably in Cleveland, Ohio. I like finding out a machine's heritage when I can so I think it's fun to have a date and maker.

Good luck on finding out about yours.
Jan
Jan and everyone who seems to be confused as to what a Singer's Model 15 clone looks like here are a couple pictures I am re-posting of my 15 clone. The first dead give away that you have a 15 clone is the tension dial's location on the face of the machine. See the side view - there is no tension on the side of the head facing you like most machines -- the tension disk is on the face plate - in front. When you find a machine like this, that is not an actual Singer, it is a clone of the Singer Model 15.

Now as far as Dressmaker, several companies had a machine they called Dressmaker or Dressmaker something. In fact, there is a very cheap Brother I think Wal Mart sells today called a Dressmaker. Anyway, the way you know for sure is that tension disk. Only Singers or Singer clones had that tension disk located on the face.

Does this help?

Nancy

15 clone see tension disk on face of the machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206451[/ATTACH]

15 clone - no tension disk on head facing you like all other machines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206453[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206445.jpe   attachment-206447.jpe