Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by jpete523
Nancy,

Do you have any knowledge about Western Electric sewing machines? I have a wonderful chainstitch with a hand crank that is badged Western Electric. But I am clueless about how to thread it. It was threaded when I bought it but it's not correct because the stitch knots up when you sew. It looks a lot like a Wilcox and Gibbs. Maybe I could use a W & G threading diagram? Thank you for your help!
Jan
Jan, the only thing I know about Western Electric is that National made Western Electric machines from 1917 to 1918 - only 2 years. I also know that Graybar was first called Western Electric. Graybar split off from Western Electric in 1925 to become Graybar. I think the person on here who understands the whole Western Electric, National, Graybar thing is Monica (Vintagemotif) as she has two different Two Spools machines and she has done some research on them. Those chain stitch machines did thread pretty much the same. I'd try a Wilcox & Gibbs threading route, but maybe Monica can help with that too.

Nancy

Here is some information on the Wilcox and Gibbs and how to thread one. http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_gibbs.htm