Old 06-04-2011, 02:00 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by irishrose
The machine that came to my door is a Singer Stylist 533 - made in Great Britain, maybe in the late 70s. The cabinet operates in a very strange manner. It doesn't seem safe to me. I'll try to get a picture later. The machine is a mix of metal and plastic and very dirty. Turns smoothly and all the levers work. It has no bobbin and no needle, so I can't try to sew right now. I'm sure I have bobbins that will fit it, but I only have metal in that size. Okay, back to the flowers. I can play with machines after dark.

This one was headed to the dumpster if I didn't take it. Poor dirty girl.
I don't like those. They have a belt on the bottom. If it sets too long the belt kind of likes to keep the same shape and then eventually breaks. Then you have to have it timed to get a new belt on it. Lots of work... not a great machine. Get an older singer.
I don't need to get another Singer. I have a 128 and a 301, a metal Kenmore, plus my precious Elna, a 1949 Necchi and my treadle. I only took this one in to save her from the dumpster. I will clean her up and find her a home. If she needs too much work, the head will go to a repairman for parts and I'll decide what to do with the cabinet.
sounds like a plan