View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Norma Luikart

Hi, again, Margaret,

Wow, what a great idea! Boy, I learn something new every day. Sounds like you have been quilting a long time. Do you or have you ever used Marti Michelle's book on quilting in sections or do you have one you prefer?

Just started on an Underground RR quilt in a local quilting guild. Finished my first patch yesterday. Had to cut out the pieces twice because they came out too small! What a waste of material. The second time around I cut everything 1/8" more than was called for so I square up everything to size needed.

I'm doing the 12" square and I'll be darned if when I went to square up the unfinished square, it was 12 1/2" on 2 opposite sides, & 12 1/4" on the other 2 opposite sides. Figure that one out!! I did square up each of the individual (9) squares at 4 1/2" each. I guess I'll just wait until all 15 squares are done before I do any squaring up of finished squares. Very perplexing, indeed!!

Any ideas as to how this problem is coming about? We are to wait on buying batting and backing until we're done with squares, so I think I will try the quilting in squares method. The finished quilt is supposed to be 60"x90".

Norma