Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Ethel A

I took a sewing class in 8th grade and just about failed the class. :lol: Not kidding!! I couldn't sew a straight line to save my life. But, I persevered; and even though I shared this fact with my husband, he still agreed to buy me a sewing machine (a Singer) 12-years ago. My first project was a Star of Bethlehem quilt top. It was HUGE. Unfortunately, I have no clue what I did with it. I don't remember if my points were actually 'pointy.' I just started cutting, sewing, and didn't pay attention to the small details that I now do. It was pretty (from what I remember). I wonder if I threw it away?

Fast-forward to four years after that, I took my first "formal" piecing class from a lady named Carmen Hague in Minot, North Dakota. We worked on a Thimbleberries sampler quilt. I loved it!! I learned to cut, piece, and even do a little applique. I had no concept of Beginner Quilter / Intermediate / Advance level. All I knew was if the directions were easy to understand, I just went ahead and followed it. After that quilt, I made the Thimbleberries BOM quilt that you see in my avatar. So, that is "officially" the second quilt I've made. After that, I've only pieced two other quilts. Technically, I consider myself still a 'beginner.' I love this message board. I can't believe how much info is shared on here. I love coming back and reading all sorts of threads.

Please share how you got into sewing and quilting. I think it's fun to read about how someone got hooked on this wonderful hobby!