Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 PM
jbud2

I started when I was little - how old I don't remember! My father's mother could sew us girls a dress and smock it, or embroider it, with no pattern! She always gave us scraps and buttons to sew doll clothes. My mother had a treadle sewing machine, and in 'playing' with that machine, my sisters and I would make real simple summer tops - take two men's bandana hankies, sew side seams and knot the top corners, and there you go! I always got 'crafty' gifts from granma and granpa -paints, pipe cleaner figures, and then when I got older, fabric, thread and zippers. I had sewing in 4-H and school and loved it. I made a lot of my own clothes, and made my own wedding gown - 24 covered buttons down the back! Then our little girl was born and I made a lot of clothes for her. Even for our son for awhile. Then I went to work and didn't have time. Several years ago I started to play around with quilting and find it very soothing! Now I have a granddaughter and when she was 18 months old, I got her sewing cards. She doesn't follow the shape very well but she gets the in-and-out motiion. For Easter I got her big chunky wooden beads and laces and she is starting to get the hang of that. One day down the road, I will make her her first sewing basket, and she will be able to sew on her parent's buttons!!