Thread: FABRIC IS BACK
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 AM
cabinfever

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I looked at a lot of their fabric, esp. the better stuff like the Cranston VIP brand, and it was all made in Pakistan, even the Cranston! The closest to domestic I found was some that was marked, "printed in the USA." Big deal. They bought foreign cotton and printed it here. What has happened to all the huge fabric mills in places like Rhode Island? Textile mills were the mainstay in many New England states while I was growing up. I hate that we are importing it all now. It's not really any cheaper, either. Think of the thousands of people those mills employed.
I wish there was a company that made good fabric in the US, I would support them even if they just made cotton solids or tonal.

It's no surprise that we have so much trouble with jobs & house prices falling, it's no joke that our industries have all left us. Just drive through some towns that used to have bustling factories 10 years ago, it may really shock you. I was in my hometown in Michigan last summer & drove past 2 major auto factories that were leveled down to dirt...that had been there since the 1920's. Although one closed in 2007, there was a possibility of other Mfg. coming in, until they leveled it 2 years ago. It really hurts when suddenly all you see for a mile or more is scrub weeds & a dirt field. What's more is every 2nd or 3rd house in all the surrounding neighborhoods are vacant for miles, no for sale signs, just empty...you can see right through them. Who owns those houses now? Where did all those people go? There were 3,500 employees @ the one next to my High school. How many people displaced does that calculate out to, considering most had families (10,000)? Sorry, it just hit a nerve thinking about it again. :cry: