View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Maurene

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by Maurene
So the bottom line math according to batt size is 90 - 6 (border) + 4 (quilting take-up) x 2 for both sides = 70 for width and 108 - 6 (border) + 4 (quilting take-up) x 2 for both sides = 88 length

I could trim the sides which would be a waste of expensive fabric or make another long string of strips and add them strip by strip until I get the right length, or just forego the fun of halving the joined bunches of strips and add 70" strips one by one until I get to the 88" length, then add 6" borders.

The fabrics for the borders and any extra I need are being re-printed and not available til August, so I'm looking at a short term UFO here....
You will do fine! You have a plan! <wave>
64 strips x 40" = 2,560" in length, now to get an 88" length I guess I should sew 44 70 x 2" strips one after the other. Does that leave 21 70" strips out?

I think I'm going to get a King size all cotton batt and make it bigger to use up all these expensive strips. The Queen size is 80 cotton 20 poly - originally for a wall quilt which is on hold - I'll put it back onto that project shelf. I like sleeping under 100% cotton anyhow!

Now I have to figure out how many equal size strips will get me to a width by length for a king-size batt leaving the border width and reserve batt for take up during quilting. More later or tomorrow - have to a bit of 'survival to quilt another day' work!!