View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Bagwell
Thanks, Wed. I will start my sewing lessons for beginners at our church and I will use this method for my younger kids . Nice way to show them to sew a straight line. Again thanks.
When kids are starting or any beginner I like to let them just sew and not worry too much if the seams are straight. Then after they have a feel for the sewing seams part then you can help them try for the 1/4" accuracy.

You also can have kids use copy paper to sew with for practice. I use it when I want to work out an idea by trial and error. It works just like fabric. You can iron it and you can sew it together. but you do have to be careful not to pull it sideways or the seams will give as it perforates the paper.

I gave my DGS paper and he practiced differant types of stitches and learning to guide the paper without getting fingers too close and how to go in a straight line. Sometimes we take some of this for granted and they need to get a feel for some things like this before they try to sew a seam for real.