View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 AM
ctub0126

Originally Posted by vivientan
According to the pattern I'm working on, it says to put 2 squares right sides together, then draw a line on the diagonal. Thereafter sew 1/4 seam to either sides of this line. Then cut along the line to form two triangles before piecing them together to form a pinwheel. Is this a good way to sew the pinwheels?
I've done that method and as long as you have a near perfect seam allowance, I don't cut them any larger and mine still line up. Caveat: I always pin and start at the most important point/ corner and sew out, that way if my seam allowance is off I still get the point/ corner I need right and can trim down if I absolutely have to.

Something that may be messing you up is that when you press them on the bias you can end up stretching them quite a bit (I started sewing making garments and so when we say press, we mean iron until you're sure it won't move, quilters I found through trial, error and talking to some friends over the years mean press just enough that the seam will be where you want it when you sew across it).

I've also used the 2 squares that give you 4 triangles (2 diagonal cuts after sewing around the outside) and have found that A/ it's easier because I'm not sewing on a bias and B/ I get more pieces for the effort!

Just my take.