View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
irishrose

A tutorial?? This was only my third quilt and I didn't have a pattern.

I had made a Friendship Star using the quilterscache.com directions when I ran short a block on my first quilt, so I knew how to do one. For A's quilt, I cut 2 1/2" strips from various fabrics, sewed them together and cut 8 1/2" blocks from the strips. I cut white sashing strips 8 1/2" and added a HST to each end (Flop a 2 1/2 square of the star fabric on the end, draw a line from corner to corner diagonally. Sew on the line, trim off excess.) Be sure the diagonal line angles in the same direction on both ends (ask me how I know). Some of the corners got 2 1/2" blocks added for the center of the star. This is where the design wall came in handy. My mind said to put white strips on all four sides of the block. Not! Alternate the direction the stripes in the blocks go as you put them up on the wall. Add the narrow color border, the wider border, quilt and bind. It was easy to quilt. SITD on the some of the lines, them FMQ in each box. I did waves, stars, meandering, a heart, etc. Each block was different ( I have a short attention span.)

I will be glad to answer any questions if you PM me.