Old 06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
canuckninepatch

I have just finished a large lap quilt that was a kit that I bought at a quilt show in Lakeland this past spring - they had a sample of the quilt made up and it was beautiful. It was all cottons, the pieces were cut already into smaller pieces, although I still had to do some smaller cuts. The sample quilt was made up unwashed, and they had washed it after and it was beautiful - all crinkly and traditional looking. I made it up unwashed. Their sample was backed in the same type of cotton.

I want to back the quilt in flannel. I have the opportunity to quilt it on my sister's new Husqvarna computerized long arm. So I surfed the web for a wide flannel to back it with. I ordered a wide flannel for $11.98 per yard from Fabric.com - I haven't received it yet, but it should be coming in the next day or two. You can see it at this address..........

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabri...annel-tan.aspx

I'm hoping it will be a good quality flannel. Anyway, I know flannel does tend to shrink a fair bit, so I was wondering if I should do a prewash of the flannel, maybe in cold water, and partial dry in the dryer, airdry the rest of the way, before I long arm quilt it. It's hard to tell if it will shrink more than the all-cotton top (the cottons on the quilt top are very good quality LQS cottons). I know this is a bit of a crap-shoot type question, but what do you guys think? Thanks for listening to my drabble.......