View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Roben

tslowery, what a fantastic job on those angels! I have a soft spot for Marilyn's angels :-)

I have floss all tucked away upstairs - I did some needlework designing before I lost the ability to focus my right eye, mainly on linens. I have full sets of Anchor and DMC, along with perle cottons, silks and overdyes - and had to come up with some serious storage. I have my sets all by number, with several boxes per line - that worked really well for grabbing the one I needed. I use parts cabinets for the perle cotton, beads, buttons, etc.

None of the manufacturers actually go by color description - those descriptions aren't official. The only thing official is the number. It is really best to get a color chart of each line, since none of them use the same numbering system either. Even within the same line, there can be differences in dye lots, just as there is in fabric and yarn.

I wrapped all my floss on acid free cards, and wrote the number from the wrapper on the card with a letter for the line (A for Anchor, D for DMC, etc.) which made putting them back much easier. Here's a couple of pics of my storage, and one favorite I stitched a few years ago.

Some of the Floss Boxes - they fit nicely in those plastic storage keepers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32738[/ATTACH]

Not my design, but one of my favorites from a book of antique Santas. I did this one for DH about 6 years ago.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32765[/ATTACH]

Parts cabinets for Perle Cottons, beads, etc. - I used return address labels and printed them from Microsoft Word.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32766[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-32738.jpe   attachment-32765.jpe   attachment-32766.jpe