Thread: FABRIC IS BACK
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Parrothead

Originally Posted by yacketusa
Originally Posted by yacketusa
Originally Posted by lucy78
well at least u said what u had 2 say.and that is what i do, when i get mad.but we only have hobby lobby now..and there fabric is high for me. i can drive 45miles one way 2 a walmart. but the gas is so high. whatta we gonna do.?????/ think i have enough at my age. but, always want another piece.......have a good day.
Hi Lucy,
I understand completely. For folks who don't have any other choice, I can see it being a good thing... sort of. I'm still mad at them for pulling it in the first place. I can also see that I'll probably have to get a job with WalMart to pay off my business/ inventory debt if they reopen their fabric department. :-(
Have a good night.
FYI, One of my distributors, located in NY, has the very same fabric that WalMart carried. They call them "clean seconds". I can get it for less than $1 yard. I have to purchase a 400 yard minimum and pay a substantial shipping charge to boot. How much do you think WalMart pays for their $1.50/yard fabric?
My guess would be about .25 cents/yard.
You can start a new topic titled "I hate WalMart". You will receive support as there are many on this board that agree with you. I have purchased some very nice fabric from WalMart. I have also purchased some very nice fabric from online fabric companies and I have purchased some very, very poor fabric on line.
We have traveled to many cities in the last four years since we are full time RVers. Some of those cities do not have LQS or even WalMart that carry fabric. At one of those locations out of desperation I purchased a sheet to have some cotton white fabric. I also have been in cities that do have fabric and LQS. At the three LQS I have visited I found very high prices, not the best quality fabric (I have been sewing since I was 10 so I know good fabric) and I found snobbish, rude personnel.

Also many people are on limited incomes that do not allow expensive hobbies. If we are forced to only purchase fabric at LQS, then some may have to give up a hobby they love. I have many vintage quilts in my family, most made with flour and feed sacks. I know Grannie did not purchase anything at a LQS.