View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Ramona Byrd

I was actually born at Grandma's house, and she raised me to my middle teens. She had a 3rd grade education, Mom went to the 5th grade, but both had photographic memories. Once they saw something or heard it, they could remember it for life.
Grandma taught me with her acceptance, that the quiet, lonely life on a farm was worth far more than the loud, fast life in towns.
She taught me that the wilderness can feed you and comfort you, which had a bad side effect when I went with my parents and siblings and we lived on the desert res beside Yuma, AZ. I hated the desert, it always felt like someone was reading over my shoulder!!
Grandma taught me the things a farm woman should know, from raising animals for food, to what was good to eat that grew in the hills. She taught me that cleanliness was really next to Godliness, even though some of the time it was pretty close to impossible during the cold, wet and snowy winters!! And she taught me that ladies always wore aprons, that a woman who did not have more than one was a woman who had no pride in her appearance. Just wonder what she'd think of the females who walk our streets today!!