Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
I didn't know any other way to get the pictures on this thread.I finally got my pictures loaded into my computer. Here are pictures of my new machine. By the serial number it was built in 1897. What model number is it? It came with a drawer full of attatchments. Thanks for looking
Lori, that is a Singer 9W. Singer didn't take over Wheeler & Wilson until 1905 so your machine can't be newer than 1905. In fact like Monica said the 9W's were only suppose to have been produced between 1909 and 1913. The confusion may be the serial number. When Singer took over Wheeler and Wilson in 1905, Singer used the Wheeler and Wilson parts for a short time, until they were gone. So some of the serial numbers are very confusing. According to the serial number on my Singer 9W - 3171412 - my machine is also pre 1900 - 1879-, but I know that is not true. My Wheeler and Wilson is from 1905 - 1910. There is a picture of my machine on page 265 here. I love that machine, it is so much fun to use, but remember the wheel goes the opposite of other Singer's - away from you. It also takes some practice to learn to thread the machine. Also, the 9W's like the Wheeler & Wilson machines use a special needle no longer in production - a 127 X 1. You have a beautiful machine. Those 9w's and the Wheeler and Wilson's are some of my favorite treadles!

Nancy

Actually the 9W's that had a serial number that started with a 'W' were suppose to be made about 1911. The 9W's without the letter were serial numbers taken from the Wheeler & Wilson factory that Singer just bought out. Those numbers were not recorded with Singer, they are not sequential Singer numbers, and there is no way to date those machines except by using history. But those numbers were the ones Singer used prior to the issue of the numbers starting with 'W's so your machine is somewhere between 1905 and 1911.

Again if you want to look at my machines, my 9W is on page 265, and my actual Wheeler and Wilson is on page 419.