Thread: Sashing
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Winnie

Re: borders for joyplace---There are some who say borders should be cut only on the length of fabric, however I have never done this. To make strips for a length of border this is what I do. Measure and cut as many strips on WOF as you need. They look best if joined on the bias. To do this lay one strip down horizontally and then lay another strip on top of it vertically (face down) on the right hand end of the strip. Draw a line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner, pin and sew. Trim and press ( I press open here). You'll now have your 2 pieces joined with a nice neat diagonal seam. Continue on until you have the length you need.
P.S. When you measure they say you should measure across the middle of the length and width of your quilt and use these measurements for cutting border strips. Then when applying the border strips match the middle of the border strip to the middle of the quilt edge and the either ease in or stretch a bit to fit it. This will keep your quilt squared up better.