Thread: Baking Bacon
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
jrhboxers

In Frauhahn's thread about too hot to cook, I mentioned that I bake bacon on a fairly regular basis to have available to sandwiches and stuff. More than a couple of people have asked how I bake bacon so here it is -

We love bacon but hate the mess that it makes when you pan fry it. And my husband likes it crisper than I do, so the baking is perfect for us.

I use the large cookie sheets. I use the Great Value/Walmart brand of Pepper Bacon. Almost the entire two pounds fits on the really big cookie sheets. Then I place wire racks (like the cookie cooling racks) in them. I place the bacon is one layer on the grid. This way the heat circulates and the grease drips into the pan.

I bake it in a 375* oven for about 15 minutes. Then I flip all of the pieces over. I know it is tedious, but you usually end up with 'puddles' of grease and this drains it. After you put the bacon back in, you need to watch it. It only takes about 5-7 minutes to finish the bacon to a done to a soft/chewy texture. That is were we usually stop baking it. That way when my husband heats his up, his gets to the crispy his likes without being inedible and brittle.

I usually lay all of the bacon out on paper towels after it is done baking and then lay a layer of paper towels on top to get the grease. I then put it into a flat Rubbermaid container with a piece of wax paper between each layer. DH likes his bacon hot and crispy for his sandwiches, so he puts it on a plate on a paper towel and microwaves it for about 25 seconds. I like mine warmed but not crisp and about 10 seconds does that.

Let me know how it works for you. We love having it on hand. There are so many times that we use it now when before we didn't because we didn't want to fuss with the prep and mess. And we have both been know to pinch a couple of pieces straight from the fridge.