Old 04-17-2009, 05:23 PM
thimblebug6000

I got the 870 for Xmas and it does have the thread cutter. It was an option I've always wanted....that said.... consider this... when you get to your " ending" spot..... you still have to "fix" or stitch in one place..... then when you hit the thread cutter button it pulls the thread through to the back & cuts it one inch long. IF you haven't fixed the thread it is now too short to knot & thread a needle & weave into the batting.... IF you have fixed your stitching.....you cut your thread & it leaves this little tied off piece on the backing. It's not too noticeable if your threads are matching..(or if you've used a busy fabric on the backing) .but if you have a light thread on top & dark thread on bottom or vice versa....it doesn't look so great.......SO ....... maybe, just maybe .... the old fashioned way of pulling your thread to the top....tying off......etc. is really neater and perhaps the better way??? I don't know....but it's all a learning curve. Now that I have this machine I'm trying to use it alot & figure things out....but I feel alot of it's options are more beneficial to the people who had enough money to purchase the machines with the same body but with the machine embroidery attachment....JMHO