Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
katier825

Originally Posted by thrums
Originally Posted by katier825
Originally Posted by thrums
Originally Posted by katier825
D9P, French braid is very easy. Looks way more complicated than it is.

Also, I've found that using busier prints on simpler patterns also makes the quilt look more complicated than it was.
I just picked up a pattern for the French Braid, but haven't studied it.

I want to study some of the colorways to see how to set them up for maximum effect. Thanks!
There are tons on here, just do a search. Here's the one I did. The hardest part is selecting the colors. Assembly is very easy! The first braid section took me 1 hr, 15 min. The rest were faster.
What tips can you give me on selecting color?
I had been collecting the yellows & pinks for awhile. I took everything I had and laid them out in what I thought would be a good order. Then I stared at it for awhile, re-arranged, stared some more. Then I got the camera out, took some pics and uploaded to the computer. I think it's easier to pick out the ones you should eliminate that way. I had one in particular that had one color background, but the foreground is what stood out to me, so I moved it and liked the result better. I say if you are selecting from your stash, pick several more than you need and arrange in color groups from light to dark. I think the book suggests the colors flow from one to another. Lots of experimentation! I'd love to do one in blues, greens, purples. Someone on the board (probably more than one person) has one with appliqued flower vines on the separator strips...gorgeous!