View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 PM
b.zang

Originally Posted by Loretta
What did you all think of the link I posted about last years Paducah best of show winner? Isn't that just amazing?
That quilt you posted made me want to see it in person. I can't even imagine how that center section was put together. WOW

Art quilts are amazing. For me, just like other art, I find myself drawn to depictions of scenes rather than free-form colour. It's a medium I didn't know existed until the last few years, and I can't imagine how the quilt artist creates such works.

But, I'm drawn to piecework; in particular 3D and puzzle patterns. Those draw me into the design, kind of like Escher's artwork. What really fascinates me, though, are colourwash quilts. I'm particularly fascinated by photomosaic art and the artist's ability to use tiny square pieces of random (or themed) pictures to make one cohesive picture. An old quilting friend (now gone) once showed me a picture of a quilt made in such a way. She told me it was famous because of the huge number of tiny pieces in it (the most ever) and the quilt had a name, but sadly I have forgotten it all. Does this ring a bell for anyone?