Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 AM
olmphoto2

Thanks for the clarification on kaleido scope quilts, Rhonda. Based on what you've also written here I'll eliminate consideration of any kind of tessellating design also (Jinny Beyer does do some of these too).

[quote=Rhonda]
Originally Posted by olmphoto2
Rhonda, I don't have a current quilt for this. However, I can cite a few types or examples of what I mean for your consideration...

For instance, the quilts that Jinny Beyer makes are all hand pieced and stitched, both the more traditional blocks and those that one might consider more of an art quilt. Her site gallery is here:

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-w...lt-gallery.cfm

I am very fond of her style.

Also, I love making kaleidoscope style quilts. I have both hand pieced and machine pieced them using no other techniques than I would have with any other traditional block.

Now, on the other hand, my avatar is something I paper pieced and I know would not qualify even if I wasn't already showing it here. :)

P.P.S. I've never run a contest but I have headed a few block swaps. Boy, do the unanticipated (good!) questions start start flying in something that just seemed so simple to begin with! Thanks for taking this on. It seems like fun for all. :)

well Patrice is a great backup so I have confidance if I can't answer she can or together we can come up with an answer.
Yes I have found this to be true that what seemed simple becomes complex when you get more than 2 people involved! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But I hope this is good clean fun for everyone with no dissension in the ranks! LOL So listen up everyone we want just good positive feedback and if you need to vent do it privately!! LOL LOL I'm sure there will be those who don't agree with something but I hope they are adult enough to keep the negative out of the contest.

I know this is going to go well and we will be able to make it an on going feature of the board!!

Traditional piecing to me means squares triangles and rectangles or circles. Kaleidoscope does not fit in this genre. I know OBWs are pieced traditionally but I would have to say that is not a traditional method. It is a newer method and not one that has been handed down over the years as traditional piecing has been. Other kaleidoscopes either fall in the same category as the OBW or they are appliques so I would have to rule out the Ks.

I will look at her site and be back.

I would say it is fine. As long as you are using traditional piecing methods as in joining square rectangles etc then it fits this criteria. An Art quilt to me would be a layered applique or reverse applique or a self portrait or landscape using unconventional methods etc.

Thanks for asking. It makes me think! and may answer a question for someone else who may not have wanted to ask.