Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by olmphoto2
Thanks for the clarification on kaleido scope quilts, Rhonda. Based on what you've also written here I'll eliminate consideration of any kind of tessellating design also (Jinny Beyer does do some of these too).

well Patrice is a great backup so I have confidance if I can't answer she can or together we can come up with an answer.
Yes I have found this to be true that what seemed simple becomes complex when you get more than 2 people involved! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Traditional piecing to me means squares triangles and rectangles or circles. Kaleidoscope does not fit in this genre. I know OBWs are pieced traditionally but I would have to say that is not a traditional method. It is a newer method and not one that has been handed down over the years as traditional piecing has been. Other kaleidoscopes either fall in the same category as the OBW or they are appliques so I would have to rule out the Ks.
I was thinking tesselations would be ok but if you apply the handing down from one generation to another as part of the description of traditional then the tesselation wouldn't be allowed. Let alone that all the tesselations are free form or not squares etc. Now I have seen one that uses crosses that would be allowed. But not the fish or birds etc.