View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM
valsma

Originally Posted by Sharonsews
Glad your Mom is doing better. My FIL is in Hospice. I have things (crochet, material, etc) in the van to work on but can't do it. My hands aren't the steadiest. My SIL has an ipad to play games on to pass time and we talk about different trips that MIL and FIL took alone and with their gkids, all the years swimming at their pool, etc. I feel guilty for laughing at some of the silly stories while he is laying there. I feel guilty for eating while he snoozes - asleep for 3 days now. Is this normal to feel this way? I want to be there for my husband.
Oh my gosh yes. When my FIL was in the hospital a few days before he passed they put him in a single room because the hospital staff knew he was in in final days. We packed that room with family and friends, we didn't sit there waiting for dad to pass in sadness, we shared our memories and laughter with each other. We talked about dad and all the wonderful things he meant to each of us. When he fianlly took his last breath we were all laughing about something that dad had said or done at a long ago family picnic. He was the rock of our family but we know that he heard us and could leave mom in the loving care of his family. She joined him about 6 months later.
I think it is normal to feel guilt, but you and your husband still need to go on and live. It will do your FIL no good if you make yourself ill and cannot spend time with him before his time is done. At least you are there for him, some familys do not even bother when a family memeber gets to that stage. God bless.