View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sgardner
Originally Posted by BonniFeltz

Considering that you pick things up at a faster rate than I do, you'll be the quicker and I'll be the later. LOL.

Seriously, when you look at a quilt or a quilt block, can you tell if the person just whipped it together with ease, or struggled over getting it together? Nope. Only the end product matters, and so yes, the turtle can win the race in quilting!
It seems everything I learn I have to do it the hard way. I always have to learn by trial and error. The many things I post are a result of 30+ years of trial and error. I doubt anyone picks something new up and does it perfectly the first time or even the second time. My first time is always the worst and by the third or fourth attempt I get it right or at least acceptable.

When I first started to quilt I had a cardboard square a pen and a pair of scissors. I didn't think it mattered if I was all that accurate. I would draw out 20+squares and as you went the cardboard would get slightly out of whack and by the time you were done the squares weren't all that square but I used them anyway. You wouldn't want to see my first attempts! LOL

We all have our own learning curve and that just makes us all individuals. There are lots of things I will never do. Curves are not on my list of things to master. I did try a traditional drunkard's path because I inherited some pieces from my MIL but I could't do it justice at all! Just not my thing! That is why when I discovered the star point block and the wings block I was so ecstatic to discover the curve effect! And I adapted eleanor Burns DP method to my cut down method and I was thrilled to able to do them that way. I sure can't do them the traditional way!