Thread: Stolen checks?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Ramona Byrd

This is why I don't mail personal checks anymore. If I can't pay the bill via internet, I use my local banks Bill Pay to pay a bill or send money. This way you always have proof of payment & no more check got lost or stolen in the mail issues. My credit card company also notifies me of any charges to my account over a certain amount.[/quote]
---------------------------------
I do use personal checks, but NEVER leave them in the door. I take them to the post office and put them in the mail box there. Also, you absolutely MUST be careful not to just stick them in the slot with a mass of other letters there (WHAT were they THINKING???) where I or anyone else could simply grab a handful of letters and take them with me. We have about 5 mail boxes behind the post office and I choose one of the further ones. The first two are usually full to overflowing!!!!!

As for home delivery, we have a slot in the door, that really does help a lot. And for packages, I have a cheapie ($40 per year) mail box at the main post office. Things put on the porch open to the road have a tendency to follow others home.

For ordering things online, I always pay by Money Order, never
personal checks.