View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
I'm so glad there are so many of us "oleo/material" gals here, and yes, I remember the sweet milk, too, as opposed to skim milk, buttermilk, sour milk and cream. There was no 1%, 2%, Silk or Soy. (There were soy milk formulas for babies who were allergic to cow's milk.) I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook that calls for sour milk in lots of chocolate cake recipes. I seldom "made" sour milk with vinegar - milk would get sour faster in those days, I think. It really didn't take too long, either. It always gave me a good excuse to make good chocolate cake.

Remember the milk man and the milk box by your front door? Ours also delivered eggs, butter, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc. - anything dairy. If I needed something more than the regular milk order, I would leave him a note telling him what to deliver the next time - I had to plan ahead and be organized!

Boy, we've really gotten away from "Squash Casserole", haven't we?
Yes, we have. But all of those flashbacks are contagious. I had a milkman until last month. I'm already missing that. We have been running out of milk because I forget to check the refrigerator before I go grocery shopping.

When I was a child, our milkman delivered our milk just about the time we were gathering in the kitchen for breakfast. Sometimes we had to wait for his arrival to have milk with our breakfast. Another flashback: my mom would skim the cream off the top of the fresh milk to float on the top of our cup of coffee. (No homogenized milk in those days. We got it still warm from the cow.)

And as for that awesome-looking casserole recipe, I plan on trying it as soon as I can get fresh squash.