View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 PM
fivepaws

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Originally Posted by fivepaws
Thanks for your suggestion. Doesn't Splenda change the texture? Does it cook successfully?
It certainly does - the cake won't rise properly, the texture is tough and gummy and it won't brown. At least that's my experience. Didn't like it at all.

The makers of Splenda have a lot of hints for baking cakes, the main one of which is not to replace more than half of the sugar in the recipe with Splenda. Of course, they are trying to sell their Splenda Blend for Baking, but I've never used it. Check out their website for all their other hints like using dry milk powder in the recipe, and others.

I am diabetic, too, so when I go to a family birthday party, I just don't eat many carbs all day, kind of saving my day's carb count for dessert. Then I go ahead and have a piece of cake (small and icing scraped off) and, so far, it works for me.

However, you should keep in mind that, even if you do eliminate the sugar, there are loads of carbs in the flour in the cake, and that must be taken into account. Sugar-free does not mean carb-free.
Oops!!! I forgot the carb. bit. The girls are both grown women. One has been insulin dependent since 18, the other has adult onset Has to watch her diet but is only on meds. Thank you sooo much for your advice.